The Adélie Linux Release Engineering Team is pleased to announce the immediate release of Adélie Linux 1.0-ALPHA6 for the 32-bit and 64-bit PowerPC and x86 platforms. Learn more about Adélie Linux on our Web site.
This release is an iterative release based on 1.0-ALPHA5. It includes many enhancements, new packages, and bug fixes and is based on the latest and most stable, secure software.
Please note: This is an early test release of Adélie Linux. While every care has been taken to ensure the stability of the system, features and packages may be missing or may not function correctly. You should always back up your computer’s data before you install a new Linux distribution. This release is being actively tested on multiple platforms. It is highly recommended that you use a dedicated computer or virtual machine to learn the environment until you are comfortable with using the Adélie Linux system and its package manager, apk.
- Easy Kernel has been updated to 4.14.33-mc6.
- Light-weight PDF viewer qpdfview and KDE document viewer Okular are now available.
- The musl library is now more conformant with the POSIX 2018 specification.
- Phonon, the software that KDE uses for sounding notifications and controlling system volume, is now officially supported with the VLC backend.
- POSIX compliant versions of
pax, and a more featureful version of
cpio, are now available.
- SchismTracker is now available.
- The KDE Education, Graphics, and Multimedia Suites of software are now available for all architectures.
- VLC is now available for playing many types of media, including audio and video.
- More network utilities (
mtr) and diagnostic utilities (
tmux) are now available on all live images.
- The ability to format JFS and VFAT file systems is now available on all live images.
- The infamous “cannot login as
live” bug has been fixed.
Intel x86 (32-bit)
- WINE is once again available for running 32-bit Windows® applications on Adélie Linux.
- PCMCIA and CardBus cards are now supported on 64-bit laptops.
- Thunderbird, the email and newsreader, is available in an experimental state.
- No architecture-specific release notes.
- This release marks the first where the 64-bit PowerPC platform is truly ‘even’ with the others, providing the same experience and package set as all other architectures.